My Guide Website?
Cairns: Immersive Indigenous Cultural Experience1 Reviews
Immerse yourself in the ancient world of the Mandingalbay Yidinji people on this cultural experience. Led by Traditional Owners, explore, discover and connect with significant cultural sites.
- Immerse yourself in the culture and history of the Mandingalbay Yidinji People
- Enjoy the traditional Mandingalbay Yidinji welcome: a cleansing smoke ceremony
- Go for a stroll through the bush and discover bush foods, tools, and medicine
- Sit down to morning tea and ponder traditional Indigenous tools and weapons
- Cross from Trinity Inlet to Hills Creek on a relaxed river cruise from Cairns
DescriptionDiscover the culture of the Mandingalbay Yidinji people, the traditional owners of the land that lies just across the waters from the Cairns Marina, on this guided tour. Enjoy a river cruise in Cairns Harbor, a soap-making lesson, and a traditional smoking ceremony. Start your tour with a river cruise on the Trinity Inlet. Discover this environment as seen through the eyes of the Mandingalbay Yidinji people and learn about the work being done as part of the indigenous protected area program. This will be followed by a welcome and traditional smoking ceremony. Next, learn about the traditional flora and fauna of the region, in particular the Alphitonia excelsa (soap tree). Find out how to prepare traditional soap from the tree and get the chance to cool off and clean up before morning tea with your natural bush soap. During the morning tea, admire a table with a selection of tools and weapons which your guide will hand around and explain both their use and how they were made. You will also get the chance to admire a 3D map of the area which will help put the area recognized as Mandingalbay Yidinji Country into perspective. Whilst pondering the map, enjoy discussions around land management, pre-contact history, and traditional stories as well the Mandingalbay Yidinji People's aspirations for a sustainable future. Finish the day with a walk along an ancient pathway through the forest with your guide and learn about the impact each season had on the people. Find out about native bush foods, tools, traditional medicines, and how these things help the Mandingalbay Yidinji stay connected to their ancestors.
IncludesGuided tour Morning tea River cruise 3D map presentation Soap-making lesson Weapon presentation Bush walk
- The guided walk is on a rough surface with loose stones and sand Biting insects may be present, particularly during the summer/wet season