My Guide Website?
Chillagoe Caves and Outback from Cairns Full-Day Tour43 Reviews
Journey back in history to spectacular outback landscapes, ancient coral reefs, limestone caves and Granite Gorge Nature Park. See an array of birdlife and wildlife, visit the Chillagoe smelters and Chillagoe Caves.
- Explore the famous Chillagoe Caves with a local expert guide
- Admire fossilized remains of the ancient coral reefs from 400 million years ago
- Travel off the beaten track down exclusive backroads in a 4WD
- Delve into history at the Chillagoe Copper Smelters and see Aboriginal Rock Art
- Visit Granite Gorge Nature Park and see the rock wallabies
DescriptionDiscover the Chillagoe Caves and the Outback on a tour alongside a licensed local guide. Enjoy striking natural landscapes, lunch at a 100-year-old pub, and learn about Aboriginal culture. Your naturalist guide will meet you at your accommodation in an air-conditioned 4WD vehicle. After being picked up, ascend the McAllister Ranges and head west through Mareeba embarking on a remarkable journey back to prehistoric times, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. The first stop is for morning tea at Skybury Coffee Plantation for tea, coffee and a light morning tea snack while enjoying the serenity and views. There is also time to stroll and purchase something from the gift shop if you wish. Then, travel through historical towns and rolling hills rich in minerals eventually giving way to towering limestone karsts scattered around Chillagoe. Travel out to Chillagoe while listening to the informative commentary by your guide who will share information about the region's wildlife, history, and Aboriginal culture. Explore the Chillagoe-Mungaga Caves National Park with an expert local guide, visit Balancing Rock for an amazing photo opportunity and see and learn about aboriginal rock art. Visit the remains of the once-mighty smelters to ponder what it was like working there before heading to an iconic 100-year-old Aussie pub for lunch. After lunch and a visit to the local souvenir shop, head back towards the East Coast, stopping at Granite Gorge where you get up close to the wild rock wallabies who inhabit the area. The tour then returns down the range to Cairns.
IncludesNaturalist guide Pick-up and drop off (Cairns area only) Air-conditioned 4WD vehicles Morning tea at Skybury Coffee Plantation Aussie pub lunch at an iconic 100-year-old pub Guided tour of the Chillagoe Caves See Balancing Rock See Aboriginal Rock Art Visit the Chillagoe Copper Smelters Visit Granite Gorge and get up close to rock wallabies National Park fees
- Transfers can be arranged from Port Douglas at an additional cost
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for this tour as there are steps into the caves and uneven ground.
- The tour may be canceled or the itinerary changed due to wet season weather, where conditions may close roads and access to the caves.
- This tour requires a minimum of 5 passengers to operate and may need to cancel if minimum numbers are not met.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Reserve Your ExperienceFromA$195.00Book Now Reserve now & pay later to book your spot and pay nothing today