My Guide Website?
Food Trail Tours
Go behind the scenes and visit the farms and the producers and see firsthand how their product is grown and marketed. Interact with the locals away from crowded venues and gain some knowledge about our local industries
You will enjoy tropical fruit tasting and wineries plus cheese tasting. See coffee roasted and try the brew. Walk through the dry savannah and compare to the lush tropical rainforest a few miles away. Hand feed the wild rock wallabies, and see if you can spot the kangaroos and other wild life hiding in the scrub.
All meals are included. If you have special dietary needs please state when booking. This tour is all about food and we want you to enjoy the day fully.
HIGHLANDER TOUR: Itinerary
• Coffee Plantation - See how differently we grow coffee bushes here. Meet one of our hard working migrant farming families. Hear and see coffee production from water arriving at the farm to the delicious coffee in the cup.
Have you been confused by all the choices in the supermarket? We will clarify it all for you.
• Morning Tea: A local bakery makes special, wheat and yeast free banana bread, It is moist and extremely tasty and is served at the coffee plantation
• Tropical Fruit Winery: You visit De Bruey’s Tropical Fruit Winery, near Mareeba where a tasting of selected wines is provided.
The winery produces five still tropical fruit wines; Lychee, Passionfruit, Mango, Jaboticaba and Bush Cherry
There are also three port style fortified wines; Mulberry, Mango and Swagman
Three tropical cream temptations; Tropical, coffee and strawberry and a Coffee Liqueur
• Macadamia plantation: Learn how the industry started. Hear about all the research and development. See how Macadamias are grown and harvested, plus the sorting and grading equipment.
Taste Natural, Salted, Honey and Hickory Macadamias. Buy packaged macadamias to take home.
Or obtain a mail order form for later purchases.
• Lunch: A scrumptious lunch (with local produce) is included - Special dietary needs can be catered for.
• Gallo Dairyland: Gaze into the cheese factory, where Swiss cheese makers ply their craft.
Learn about the cheese making process
Taste a selection of lactose free cheeses.
• Wild Mountain Cellars: Once again, wine tasting is on the agenda.
Meet local characters, at a very unique winery
Wines: are uniquely named 'Possum’s Pleasure', 'Emu’s Wish', and 'Casual Kangaroo'
Fortified wines: 'Moonshadow' and 'The Ruins'
Liqueurs: 'Rolling Thunder' and 'Black Pearl'
• Lake Barrine
Take a short walk to the 1000-year-old Twin Kauri Pines. These mammoth trees have a diameter of 2.7 meters and are some 50 meters tall
Afternoon tea: Enjoy Devonshire tea, on the veranda of the teahouse overlooking Lake Barrine.
• The Cathedral Fig Tree. This 700-year-old strangler fig is nestled in the World Heritage, Wet Tropics Rainforest
The Rare “Mabi” Rainforest: Mabi is the aboriginal name for the tree kangaroos that live in the area
The tour travels up the Kuranda Range to Mareeba, across the Atherton Tablelands
to Tolga, Atherton and Yungaburra, before returning to Cairns via the Gillies Highway.
Contact Food Trail Tours
PO box 112, Cairns, Toronto, 4870View Larger Map